Monday, May 16, 2011

The Dissipation of Chronic Distress

The Dissipation of Chronic Distress

We had a Business Networking Group Expo at our Spiritual Center yesterday. There were approximately fifteen who had displays of their businesses. I displayed my Medical Insurance as well as my holistic counseling skills/books.

A young woman approached me and expressed interest in having a paid session with me. She began to speak about her distress and was clearly overwhelmed by it. I listened to her and she began spontaneously to connect with, surrender, and release her feelings. I encouraged her with enthusiasm to continue with her emotional discharge as she continued to sob.

Her distress began to fall apart. It appeared that she was falling apart but based upon my experience; it was her distress that was falling apart. Too often, people are confused between a human being falling apart and their distress falling apart. Too often, one is embarrassed or fearful about being there for another human being while they are in deep distress and have a profound need for another human being just to be there for them in an empathetic and caring way. I encouraged her to stay connected to the feelings of fear and she did so. I handled my own feelings and had the courage to be there for her in a supportive manner.

We moved into another room where we had more privacy and she continued to connect with, surrender, and discharge her feelings of fear. I asked her to place her finger tips into the bottom of my spine. She embraced me and felt her finger tips at the base of my spine. Her finger tips at the base of my spine enabled her to ground herself as her loss of control intensified with profound sobbing and gradually her chronic distress began to dissipate. I continued to encourage her to feel her feelings again and again and again. She did so and her sobbing intensified more so.

I stayed firm in my ability to be there for her and she just continued to sob. Finally, it was time to return her to present time reality. I did so by asking her to describe items in the room, think of names beginning with different letters, and asked her questions about geography.

The result of her experience was positive. She claimed, "she felt better and her attention had improved". I'm glad I was able to be there for her spiritually.

Please take a moment to purchase my books, make a donation or read my website. I'm available for presentations in the wide world as well.

Best
Joel V. BA. Education, BBA. Business Admin. M.A. Master's of Psychology Human Behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment