Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dysfunctional Family of Origin and Repression

Dysfunctional Family of Origin and Repression

I attend many CODA (co-dependency anonymous) anonymous meetings and the pattern of "neediness" as it reflects the defense of "repression" among many defenses rises to the emotional surface again, and again, and again.

My psychology book defines "repression" as blocking a wish or desire from conscious expression. What indirectly is shared at many meetings is filling a void, an empty emotional space, a so-called black emotional hole, an unconscious past need, frozen, chronic, past, or even present in the form of heartbreaking "neediness". The expression from participants most of the time is expressed in an indirect way.

For example, my family of origin was not emotionally "there" for me. We experinced a lot of fighting and screaming in our family. Addictions were present in our family. There was physical abuse in our family.

Whatever the story expressed "neediness" resulting from unfulfilled needs surfaces.
Of course, receiving present time love, compassionate self-love, giving compassionate inner self-love to oneself is the great contradiction to our "neediness". Upon contradiction, the releasing, relinquishing, letting go, and trasmitting the pain or transcending the pain out of the body is the natural outcome and result.

If and when we become emotional stuck then applying ourselves, committing ourselves to methods that resonate and work for ourselves is required.

Please check out my website at www.idaretoheal.com and purchase my books, "I Dare to Heal with Compassionate Love", and "I Dare to Heal with Spiritual Power". They're available at Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Christian Book Stores, Borders as well. I'm available for counseling on co-dependency issues. My contact info is on my website.

Best
Joel V.
BA, Education, BBA Business Admin, M.A. Psychology of Human Behavior

No comments:

Post a Comment